MSW6003: Week 2 – Assignment: Critique a Community Concerning Effective Engagement with Members
When you are engaging communities, it is important to understand the nongeographical factors within the community (e.g., professional, spiritual, ethnic, racial, sexual orientation). For this assignment, build on last week’s work to explain how you will engage a specific community.
Assume you have been asked to describe your community to a new potential employer (e.g., the next Amazon headquarters, a large factory). This company is looking to understand why your community would be the best place to invest their resources. It is up to you to describe the strengths and challenges of your community to support the investment of this employer. Be sure to be honest about the challenges facing your community while being an advocate for what the community has to offer.
For your identified community, address the following:
- Explain the strengths of the community you are assessing.
- Determine the inherent challenges in that community.
- Interpret the reasons members belong to that community.
- Analyze the impact of community membership on specific community members.
- Identify the leaders (both elected and unelected) of the community.
- Consider how you, as a social worker, would engage members of the community to support your advocacy efforts.
Incorporate appropriate animations, transitions, and graphics as well as speaker notes for each slide. The speaker notes may be comprised of brief paragraphs or bulleted lists and should cite material appropriately. Add audio to each slide using the Media section of the Insert tab in the top menu bar for each slide.
Support your presentation with at least three scholarly resources. In addition to these specified resources, other appropriate scholarly resources may be included.
Length: 12-15 slides (with a separate reference slide)
Notes Length: 100-150 words for each slide